Tenants - FAQs

Tenant Fees?


From the 1st june 2019 the tenant fee act was introduced banning all agent and landlords from charging tenant fees, however,  A Holding Deposit equivalent to 1 week’s rent is required to secure the property payable on application. Any Holding Deposits will be repaid within 15 calendar days of their application proceeding. Should the tenancy be granted the holding deposit will be deducted from your first month’s rent.


You will lose your Holding Deposit if any in the following circumstances:

  1. You give us false or misleading information. E.g. incorrect income details or you fail to tell us about a CCJ.
  2. You fail a Right to Rent check and are not eligible to reside in the UK.
  3. You withdraw your application.
  4. You delay the application process.


A Deposit/Bond is required in advance. Deposits vary from property to property but will not exceed the equivalent of 5 weeks’ rent.


How the DPS Scheme works?

1. The tenant pays the landlord or letting agent their deposit.

2. The letting agent/landlord pays the money in to the DPS scheme.
3. Upon receipt of the deposit, the DPS provides confirmation and details of the protection scheme to the letting agent/landlord and tenant.
4. When the tenancy comes to an end, the letting agent/landlord and tenant agree repayment of the deposit including any interest accrued.

5. In the case of any dispute, The DPS return any undisputed monies plus interest to the relevant party, but hold the disputed portion until the Alternative Dispute Resolution Service (ADR) or courts decide what is fair.


Normally your deposit cannot be used to pay your rent, unless otherwise agreed.


When can I move in?

Once the tenancy has been signed and rents & deposits have cleared, the tenancy can proceed. You can now collect the keys to your new home.


Can I have pets in my new home?

You must consult us prior to obtaining a pet.


What if I find any faults or repairs that need addressing?

If you find any problems with the property you are renting, you should contact us immediately. Once we have been informed of any issues/faults we will instruct the landlord and await their instruction.


Can I decorate the property?

You must consult us prior to carrying out any changes to the property. We will contact the landlord and await their permission.   


Do I have to pay for Council Tax & Utility Bills?

As a tenant you will be responsible for any utility bills like water, gas, electric as well as council tax, unless there is a special arrangement with the landlord of the property. You will also be responsible for a TV license at the property, if you watch TV without a license you risk being fined. Please check the tenancy agreement details.


Do I need insurance, as a tenant?

The landlord of the property is responsible for insuring the building and any furnishings that come with it. You will be responsible for insuring your own contents/personal possessions stored within the rented property.


Can I run a business from the property I rent?

No. You must use the property solely for residential purposes unless specifically agreed in advance, in writing.


As a tenant, what am I responsible for?

As a tenant, you are responsible for:

  • Prompt payment of the rent
  • Prompt payment of gas, telephone, electricity, council tax
  • Reporting any damages to the property or furnishings within the property as soon as possible
  • Taking general good care of the property
  • Respect the needs of your neighbours